Schools are to remain locked in Ondo State as the government said the public safety is more paramount as the state can not afford to witness any spike that may result from school resumptions.
The state has said that only students in Junior Secondary School 3 and Senior Secondary School class 3 are permitted to go back to school while tertiary institutions; public or private are to remain shut till the government sees that the coast is clear.
The government said the directive was in line with its objective of strengthening public safety, protecting the lives of residents, and further mitigating the spread of COVID-19.
Professor Adesegun Fatusi, the state Chairman of the Inter-Ministerial Committee on Covid-19 stated this in Akure, the state capital on Wednesday.
Speaking with newsmen; he said all school authorities – both public and private had been ordered to comply fully with the government’s directive, to remain closed until the state government expressly permits such.
He urged the parents to ensure that their children and ward continued to stay at home until the government directed otherwise.
“The Government is very keen to see students return to classes, but in a safe, serene and secured environment. The government would not tolerate any illegal act of re-opening schools contrary to the government’s directive”, Fatusi said.