CORONAVIRUS: 8 Federal Medical Centre workers test positive

Some of the hospital workers of the Federal Medical Centre, Idi-Aba, Abeokuta have tested positive for the  COVID-19. The head, Public Relations and Information department of the hospital, Segun Orisajo, confirmed this on Friday.

The infected hospital workers include administrative staff, nurses and medical doctors who according to report attended to a less than three-year-old COVID-19 patient of the hospital who is presently receiving treatment at the isolation ward made available at the health facility.

However, the affected workers of the hospital are yet to be showing symptoms and they have been urged to be in self-isolation so as to avoid further contact and save their loved ones.

Read Also: Premier League: Liverpool fans arrested over wins

Orisajo made known that the status of the affected health workers was detected due to the contact tracing carried out by the hospital Infection Control Team.

“The affected staff were part of the team which had contact with a two and a half-year-old coronavirus positive toddler currently receiving treatment at the Centre’s Isolation ward”, he said.

“The COVID-19 positive status of the affected staff was detected during the round of contact tracing carried out by the hospital Infection Control Team”.

He again confirmed that none of the affected staff had so far shown the symptoms of the virus.

On the flip side,  the Medical Director, Prof. Adewale Musa-Olomu, said although all of the affected staff are asymptomatic, they have been asked to proceed on self-isolation and basic treatment commenced for them.

He added that the Medical Director prayed for the quick recovery of the staff.

See Also: N-POWER: New registration begins – see registration link

Orisajo further assures that these workers shall resume to their various duty post in due time. While reiterating  the Medical Director’s earlier assurances about the safety of the centre, both for the workers and patients.

In another development, the management of the hospital had shut down the Children Emergency Ward in the facility after the two-year-old girl was tested positive to COVID-19.



Related Post