By Yekinni Adeyemi
The Lagos State Commission of Police, Fatai Owoseni has assured Lagosians, parents and guardian a safer and threat free schools.
You will recall that six kidnapped students of Igbonla Model College in Lagos were rescued from Aboto creek, Ilaje Local Government Area of Ondo state, on Friday 28th July 2017 at about 3.30pm. The students, Judah Agbausi, Farouq Yusuf, Peter Jonah, Adebayo George, Isiaq Rahmon and Pelumi Philips were abducted from their school and the abductors requested N400million ransom when they established contacts with the parents but later reduced it to N100million when they knew that the parents cannot afford the huge ransom.
64 days later, the boys were rescued by security operatives in Ondo state and had been handed over to the Lagos State Government, and not fewer than 17 of the abductors were killed during the operation as they exchange gun fire with the Nigeria Police Force.
Igbonla Memorial College boys who were rescued from kidnappers’ den in Ondo
The Lagos State Commission of Police, Fatai Owoseni during an interview has assured Lagosians, parents and guardian a safer and threat free schools. He further said that security agents have gone back to the drawing board to beef up security and strategies to protect lives and properties of all citizens.
He said, “after the Igbonla incident, you will recall that we do not have any incident is any school. All the schools has been capture as directed by the inspector general of police. We are working with the communities, stakeholders and others to ensure we have safer schools”.
“Although in the cause of the operation we lost one of the community volunteers, 4 of them were injured and 7 of our men were injured as well but all this could not have been achieved without the support of a responsive government”, Owoseni concluded.